Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Momentary synaesthesia

I often wonder what it means to mean when they say that they "see God" and me being the heathen child that I am wonder what I'm missing. It's not so much that I strive to see God - my sense of "rationality" tells me that if I can't physically sense it, it's just at most a perception created by necessity for understanding what we know and desire to explain it.

Even so, I've wondered why I don't perceive these things. As I understand it, everyone should perceive certain events and it's just the interpretation of those perceptions (based on our nature and nurture) that separates us. So for some time, I've been looked for those moments when I'm supposed to see the writing on the wall. Naturally when your looking for something so actively, it can be staring right at you and you will completely miss it, but I've also been sifting through significant memories and once again I'm brought back to musical moments in my life, synaesthetic moments, which seem to stand out.

Now I suppose that these moments will differ from person to person - the whole idea behind personal connections to God (which in some way seems odd to me, because while I fully support individualism and am vehemently opposed to groupthink moments, particularly in religion), seems like it inherently pulls people further away from the people around them, making God seem almost like a divisive force. It's 3am, so clearly I'm not thinking clearly, but either my logic is fuzzy, I'm a pessimist, or God as a divisive force exists and I'm going to be smitten for considering the thought.

I shall have to ponder this further and get back to this thought later on ... especially the dual-spellings of the word Synaesthesia/Synesthesia ...

No comments:

Post a Comment